Re: --timeout

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: --timeout
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:19:35 +0100

2011/12/11 Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk>:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Hans Schou <hans.schou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to find a line on all servers. Some servers might be down in my
>> list so I just want parallel to timeout after 10 sec:
>>
>> $ time parallel --tag -j30 -S .. --nonall --timeout=10 grep
>> ^nameserver /etc/resolv.conf
> :
>> 3 minutes???
>
> --timeout was not tested with --nonall. Try the git version now. Also

It works much better now:
$ time ./src/parallel --tag -j30 -S .. --nonall --timeout=10 grep
domain /etc/resolv.conf
real    0m12.526s
user    0m6.440s
sys     0m2.228s

> why do -j30? Why not -j0?

Because I get this error:

Undefined subroutine &Data::Dump::dump called at ./src/parallel line
1949, <GEN0> line 1.

I do get most of the expected lines of output, but that error occur
sometimes as number 3 or 4 line. I do net get it every time.

/hans