Re: New bug: flock not implemented -> sem fails

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: New bug: flock not implemented -> sem fails
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:47:35 +0100

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM,  <parallel-bugs@pkts.ca> wrote:

> I have emailed the admin on that system, and apparently they normally
> do have flock enabled, but after their latest reboot that flag was not
> set for some reason.  They'll fix that manually.
>
> I'll see what would work for a flock replacement, but I may not be
> able to do it (time pressure).  In the meantime, could parallel be
> modified to not enter an infinite loop when flock returns ENOSYS?

As you are the only one I know of who has this problem, it is probably
easier for you to change and test the code. It is in the while loop
around line 4900 where you should test if the return value is ENOSYS,
print a warning and leave the while loop.

> Also, if you make each of the html files depend on a previous html
> file, then 'make -j' will serialize them and the pod2html problem goes
> away. This unfortunately means that someone who just wants to build one
> html file may get more than they want, but that's a smaller group than
> the group of people who type 'make -j' indiscriminately. :-)

The actual program 'parallel' is a single, very portable perl script.
You should be able to copy that to any UNIX-like machine and it will
run. So you should have no problem installing GNU Parallel on another
machine and simply copy the 'parallel' program to the target machine.

/Ole