Re: How should --onall work?

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: How should --onall work?
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:27:32 +0200

2011/6/7 Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk>:
> First: Did you read the man page? Specifically: EXAMPLE: Running the
> same command on remote computers (unimplemented)

No. I did now. But it seems quite important with that '-j0' thing.

$ time ./src/parallel "ssh {} 'hostname ; uptime'" ::: c d e f
(output removed)
real    0m1.825s
user    0m0.148s
sys     0m0.064s

$ time ./src/parallel -j0 --nonall -S c,d,e,f "hostname ; uptime"
(output removed)
real    0m1.284s
user    0m0.568s
sys     0m0.108s

$ time ./src/parallel -j0 "ssh {} 'hostname ; uptime'" ::: c d e f
(output removed)
real    0m1.027s
user    0m0.172s
sys     0m0.048s

Its nice with a new switch but I don't think '--onall' is really
needed. It gives a nice quoting and you can have a file with all your
servers which makes the command line much shorter but I am not
convinced.

/hans