starting 10 extra processes takes long warning while using only 8 cores

From: Ozgur Akgun
Subject: starting 10 extra processes takes long warning while using only 8 cores
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:30:47 +0000

Hi,

First, thanks for the great tool. It has been helping me a lot.

Second, my question. To me, this is weird behaviour, and I am not able to
supply a complete working example I am afraid. I run parallel with 8 cores on
a 32 core machine, an still get the following warning out. I'd love to be
enlightened on what's happening.

Command I use:
parallel -j 8 -N 2 "echo {1} {2}; ./run.sh {1} {2} > /dev/null"

And the warning:
parallel: Warning: Starting 10 extra processes takes > 2 sec.
Consider adjusting -j. Press CTRL-C to stop.

$ parallel --version
GNU parallel 20110205
Copyright (C) 2007,2008,2009,2010 Ole Tange and Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU parallel comes with no warranty.

Web site: http://www.gnu.org/software/parallel

Thanks in advance,

--