Re: EC2 integration for ssh hosts?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: EC2 integration for ssh hosts?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:27:00 +0100

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Ole Tange <tange@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Matt Oates (Home) <mattoates@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> However, we're reaching the limits of most hardware laying around, my
>> research group are moving to the Amazon Elastic Cloud. I was wondering
>> if anyone can gauge how much heartache there would be in hacking on
>> GNU parallel using the Net::Amazon::EC2 module to bring up a bunch of
>> cloud instances, and then pass this off as the list of ssh remote
>> hosts? I could just wrap something around parallel in the shell but it
>> feels like a nice optional feature for others..?
>
> While I am a bioinformatician, too, and while we too are looking at
> EC2, I do not see a Net::Amazon::EC2 interface becoming a part GNU
> Parallel: One of the primary goals is to keep the additional
> requirements to install GNU Parallel very low. Requiring
> Net::Amazon::EC2 installed to run will go very hard against that goal.
>
> I am not sure what the best way to interface GNU Parallel with
> Net::Amazon::EC2, but my suggestion would be for you to wrap something
> around GNU Parallel and post your wrapping here. If you write your
> wrapper in Perl, it might be easier to see if we can find a good way
> to make a general solution.

I was just at a conference where EC2 was the topic for a couple of the
talks. I believe what you would do is:

* Put '-S /home/user/.parallel/ec2-hosts' in ~/.parallel/ec2-profile
* Order N machines using some command line tool.
* Put the names of the machines into ~/.parallel/ec2-hosts
* Run: parallel -j ec2-profile your command

/Ole