Re: [Paparazzi-devel] measuring altitude with pressure/gps

From: Kirk Scheper
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] measuring altitude with pressure/gps
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:42:22 +0200

Hey Martin,
As far as I know the result in the INS and the ROTORCRAFT_FP messages contain the result of the Kalman filter combing the GPS and the Baro when using the vertical float filter (vff). When using the extended vertical float filter (vff_entended), the baro offset is estimated (using the gps and/or sonar if active).

Without any additional information, I am not sure what you are referring to with 'the difference between the GPS and the other parameters is generally increasing with height', so I can't help you there.

Please note that you have to define INS_USE_GPS_ALT in your airframe for it to be considered in the filter. Additionally, consider the values for INS_VFF_R_GPS and VFF_MEAS_NOISE as they will change the noise model used for the GPS and baro respectfully, changing the confidence on each parameter in the filter.

From what you described, I would have to guess you didn't define INS_USE_GPS_ALT so the GPS is not being used in the vertical filter.

I noticed that INS_USE_GPS_ALT and INS_USE_GPS_ALT_SPEED are not mentioned in the documentation for the INS so I will update this at my next opportunity.

Yours,
Kirk