pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Seeing contents of 'Sent' postings that were never poste

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Seeing contents of 'Sent' postings that were never posted
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2018 03:49:40 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Fri, 07 Dec 2018 12:37:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 08:31:37 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that gmane is not a normal news server.
>
> The odd thing is that I have been posting successfully to that Gmane NG
> since 2013,
> the last and final one on Dec.3 2017.
>
>      Since then postings have been no-ops.
>
>      (No problem posting to several other Gmane NG's...)

Hmm... Was late 2017 about when Lars (the guy behind gmane) had his
crisis and the gmane web side, and almost the news side, shut down?
There were a number of changes when that happened, and it could well be
that when he did the new setup, he didn't setup reverse-dns, while
reverse-dns was setup properly, previously.

It could also be that likely due to one or more of the lists on that
listserv (not necessarily that specific list) suffering a spam attack,
the listmasters tightened the anti-spam rules.

A less likely possibility is that you were actually using a different
email address back then, and had perhaps subscribed to the list, put it
in vacation mode, and then forgot about it.  Then when you changed email
addresses, the new one wasn't subscribed and ran afoul of a policy that
didn't apply to the first address because the first one was subscribed
and you'd just forgotten about it.  Of course that's why this possibility
is less likely, because you'd probably have remembered switching
addresses and considered that as a possible cause, even if you didn't
remember subscribing to the list with the first address.  But I could
imagine it happening to me in one of my (thankfully rare) email address
switches.