pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] where does pan cache it's incompleted downloads>

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] where does pan cache it's incompleted downloads>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 02:47:26 +0000 (UTC)

Pedro posted on Fri, 05 Jan 2018 07:56:39 +1100 as excerpted:

> after refreshing groups in pan, my news server (it is 'easy' and it is
> 'news') doesnt carry
>
> gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user or gmane.discuss though there are plenty
> more gmane's in there.
> I've asked them to check and add.

Note that while you can certainly have them add it, it's rather unlikely
that you'll be able to post to the list via that server, since mostly
they're just slurping from gmane -- gmane doesn't peer with other news
servers (it has always been on the "future todo list) so slurp-feeds is
all they get.

The effect will thus very likely be that if you post to the group, it'll
get peered to other news servers carrying the group as well, but chances
are it won't actually make it back to gmane or the listserv itself, and
even if it did, you will very likely still need to post with your real
address, especially for lists that only allow subscribers to post.

Since it likely won't make it to the list, it's not going to make it back
to gmane either, since gmane only posts posts that it gets thru its
subscriptions to the various lists, and very few here will see the
message, since most are either using the list directly, or (like me)
using gmane.

Think about it.  Most mailing lists, at least the private lists that
require subscriptions to post, require you to use a valid email address,
and gmane is gating to them, so it too requires a valid address.
(Additionally, gmane is sensitive to being an easy route for spammers,
because it depends on the good graces of the list admins to continue to
be able to carry their lists, and if too much spam comes in via gmane,
the list admin is simply going to have gmane remove the group and people
will have to subscribe by mail, no using gmane for that list, definitely
not the most positive of outcomes.)

But easynews and their peers that carry the group will see the message,
and any of their users reading that group will see it as well.  Depending
on the group/list, that may or may not be a big enough audience of people
suitably familiar with whatever the list topic is to reply in a
reasonable way.