pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] purge/delete headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] purge/delete headers?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 07:13:44 +0000 (UTC)

glen walpert posted on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 12:59:09 -0500 as excerpted:

> Astraweb has just done a headers database upgrade and requested that all
> users:
>
> "Please purge/delete your headers Due to a database upgrade, please
> purge/delete all the headers in your newsreader and reload the headers
> again."
>
> My first inclination is to delete everything in the .pan2.groups
> directory and re-add all of my subscribed groups, but I would like to
> get confirmation of the best method from someone who knows how Pan
> works.

Interesting.  I have an astraweb block account, but seldom use it.[1]

Easiest is probably to simply setup a new server with the same settings
as your current astraweb server, then if desired, set the old one to zero
connections to disable it while keeping the unexpired messages until they
expire, before deleting it.

Because pan is multi-server, it'll keep track of what groups you're
already subscribed to, tho you will need to redownload the newsgroups
list... which you should update every so often anyway if there's any
chance you want to look at "new" groups.

Alternatively, it's possible to do it manually, but if you have multiple
servers and you don't want to screw up the others this can get hairy as
you'll be editing a bunch of files.  In addition to the files in groups,
you'll want to check the newsrc file for that server (see servers.xml for
the mapping), as well as newsgroups.xov.

I'd just do the new server thing.  It really /is/ easiest.

---
[1]  That TB block might well last my life... which was pretty much what
I intended, if I didn't into news heavily again.  And if I did and I
needed to renew, so much the better; either I'd not have to worry about
it for a long time if ever again, or I'd have to, but only because I got
quite active again, either way being fine with me. =:^)