pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] request - preference to not download duplicate

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] request - preference to not download duplicate
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 07:30:19 +0000 (UTC)

RW posted on Sat, 29 Apr 2017 13:26:23 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:38:08 +1100 Pedro wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> thanks for 'being there' for pan development.
>>
>> something I would like to see if preferences for duplicates
>>
>> at present pan looks for existing and appends a '_copy_x' to the
>> filename, where x is a subsequent number, usually copy_2
>>
>> it would be trivial, so trivial I will do this and recompile, to either
>> ignore duplicates, which saves me from downloading it, or to overwrite
>> newer or larger files.
>
> What I'd like to see is is that pan downloads a renamed file and then
> deletes it if it's an exact copy of the original (or any of the files
> with intermediate names).

Now /that/ would be useful. =:^)

Meanwhile, FWIW, the whole general lack of control when doing mass
downloads, all to the same location, is one reason I tend to configure
pan with a much larger cache (the default is only 10 MB, not enough for
this usage style, I use a cache of multiple GB), download all messages to
cache, and then go thru after everything's cached and sort and save off
attachments to subdirs named by post series, etc.

Then I clear the cache and start again by downloading to cache.