pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 02:20:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:48:58 -0600, David Kelly wrote:

> FreeBSD is happy to utilize multiple swap files and devices. It's best to
> distribute swap across mounted devices for best performance. There are
> ways to resize existing partitions without backup/wipe/repartition, but
> not without risk. The safest way is either a swapfile or add another
> device with a proper swap partition/slice.
>
> Swapfile is not the way to configure a fresh install, but it gets the job
> done.  Don't let quest for perfection prevent you from using a good-enough
> solution.

Yeah, this PC originally had 4GB or RAM so I made a 4GB swap partition for it.
It's since been upgrade to 8GB of RAM so 4GB of swap is not really optimal
anyway now.  It's also gone from, IIRC, 8.x to 9.0, 9. and now 10.3 of
FreeBSD doing in-place upgrade over a few years on the same 500GB HDD.

I could probably backup /var & /usr, leaving /, then recreate /var, /tmp,
swap and then a smaller /usr without too much issue but if I'm going to
all that trouble I may as well go the whole hog and build a whole new
disk layout on ZFS.

I may well just move the relevant user data over to my test box so I can
stay "live" and start from scratch on the main PC.  There's probably cruft
left over from past upgrades that could do with a clear out :-)

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.