pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:42:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:21:29 +0000, mick wrote:

> Is the PC choking at the downloading of the headers stage?
> Or Is it choking once all the headers are downloaded and you are trawling
> through that group?
>
> Forgive my ignorance but I thought a filter can only be set once a header
> is downloaded.
>
> I had a similar situation on a non binary group where once all the
> thousands of headers had been downloaded I set a filter to ignore certain
> posters and from then on everything has run smoothly.
>
> If the PC is choking in the first instance, what you really want is not to
> download the header in the first place.
>
> More knowledgeable people here will no doubt have a better answer, one I
> would like to know as well.

It seems to be getting slower and slower as the headers download before
eventually coming to a grinding halt.  I've not actually seen it happen yet
since I'm either off somewhere else, or on a different virtual desktop. I'm
running Pan via SSH on a different PC, no GUI desktop there.

 Back when I used Windows, I used Agent and IIRC if the filter was based
on one of the headers sent before attempting to get the article, then that
header was deleted on sight so you didn't end up with 2 million headers to
then filter after the fact.

I just checked that group again and there are about 1.4 million header in 5
hours.  It's almost as if someone is using Usenet as there HDD backup
destination.

<tinfoil hat mode> Or it's an "industry" related attempt to screw over the big
usenet providers. </tinfoil hat mode>

--
Climate Change may be raising the sea levels, but the gene pool
seems to be drying up.