pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Deprecated g_atexit()

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Deprecated g_atexit()
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

Detlef Graef posted on Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:46:50 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi Petr,
>
> Am 26.04.2016 um 17:33 schrieb Petr Kovar:
>
> [...]
>

>>> Maybe someone may have a look at this patch too, if they are any
>>> obvious problems?
>>
>> Would like to; do you have a working patch handy? If not, I could try
>> to prepare one.
>>
>> This one won't merge as you say:
>>
>> https://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/patch/?
id=f7d917d4cbecab754b6cb6cb032fbd0705896e90

> It won't merge because body-pane.cc was modified till then.
>
> I can create a (git) patch, because I have manually applied the above
> patch to the current source. I've tested Pan with the applied patch
> without any problem till now.
>
> I will send you the patch, so you can test it.

Has anyone CCed or direct-mailed Heinrich asking about it?  (Petr, you're
in the best position to know if he's asked not to be contacted, or left a
forwarding address with you, or ...)  I hate to bother him if he's not on-
list and replying any more, as seems to be the case, but seems to me if
he took the patch back out he's the best person to ask why.

For me, "leave it in for now" reads more like a backward compatibility
issue than an actual bug with the replacement code per se.  Maybe the
replacement code works well enough on current gtk2 or whatever library,
but not on the then-current minimum supported version of same.  In that
case, testing it on reasonably current setups isn't likely to help, but
it might for example fail to build on RHEL 5 (google says supported by RH
until Mar, 2017) or 6 (Nov, 2020) or some such, due to too old libraries
or code that doesn't work in old gcc.

In which case it'd be a policy question of whether we want to update the
minimum requirements and effectively drop support for building on those
old platforms without requiring dependency-hell updates.

Personally, I'm pretty forward leaning, not only running gentoo, but
running the ~arch (aka testing) keyword, and even installing live-git for
specific packages (like pan, where I've been live-git for ages) or even
entire subsystems (like kde4 some time ago, and now kde/frameworks/plasma/
apps5), so while I understand concerns about supporting ancient versions
of whatever, I'm not the best person to ask about where to draw the line,
in practice.