pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl/tls certificate handling?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl/tls certificate handling?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 04:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

Petr Kovar posted on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:57:18 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 01:19:12 +0100 Detlef Graef
> <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> I will send the patch to Petr Kovar, I hope he will commit it to the
>> git repository.
>
> I've just pushed Detlef's patch as
> 6b1b345bffce88437989f7f96c85b8c657413ae3.
>
> Please test. :)

I just pulled and haven't actually built yet, so haven't run-tested.  But
I do have a comment on ca5c4b2ff, the strings edit, specifically the
first chunk of that two-chunk patch (outdented some here for posting
without triggering wrapping problems in pan):

-        g_warning("The certificate hasn't got a known issuer.\n");
+        g_warning("The certificate has not got a known issuer.\n");

"Have got" and the negative "have not got" are apparently fine in British
English, but sound odd in more formal American English, tho they're
allowed in informal situations.  It is for this reason that AOL (America
Online) was criticized for years for their "You've got mail!" voice
notification, tho arguably it worked as intended for them, giving a
slightly informal and thus friendly tone to the notification.

Anyway, "understood just fine, but sounds odd" pretty well sums up my
feelings about the above.  Here's some alternatives that I'm somewhat
more comfortable with.  Perhaps other users can say whether they
experience the same "sounds odd" feeling with it or not, and whether
these suggestions are any better for them, if so.

The certificate does not have a known issuer.

The certificate has no known issuer.

YMMV, but I've seen a number of other string edits of yours with similar
effect, removing informalisms, etc, over the years, and tho in general
the previous version would never have given me pause, I have tended to
agree in most cases that the edits do sound better after I've had my
attention brought to them by the commits, and as a result I've come to
appreciate your skill as an i18n/l10n contributor over the years, as well
as gain an appreciation for what it is the l10n contributors /do/, even
tho I only understand the English side.  Pan is certainly the better for
it, I know, and that's not even appreciating the greater effect it
certainly has for Languages other than English.

So I thought this would be of some interest to you, and decided to post,
even if it could be seen as trivial nit-picking, because I appreciate the
value that /you/ seem to place on such "trivial" things and the improved
clarity the accumulation of all those "trivial" fixes have brought to pan
over time, and in turn place more value on them myself that I likely
would otherwise.

Thanks either way; you're the strings expert, not me! =:^)

> Cheers,
> pk

/Wildly/ OT association here and nothing other than changing your name
you can do about it even if it were horribly bad, but luckily it's not...

For some odd reason that pk triggered an old association... I wasn't sure
to what, but Philip Kantz seemed close, so I googled...

Philip Kantz is apparently an artist.  Interesting, but none of the
images that came up on google looked like something that would have
triggered that association, and his location in Skokie IL, USA and the
fact that he's apparently contemporary and still alive, not some long
dead classical artist, made it unlikely the triggered association was
with him in any case...

But one of the images seemed interesting and the link was actually to a
wikimedia image photo of Philip Katz (no n in the last name), and I
followed that image link and then the link from there to the wikipedia
article...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz

That was the apparent association that pk (via pkzip) triggered!

Philip Katz, co-creator of the zip file format and author of the well
known pkzip shareware probably anyone using shareware and/or the internet
in the 90s remembers.  It took the lead over various competitors in part
because while pkzip itself was proprietary shareware, he opened up the
technical spec and declared the zip file format free for other software
to implement, and implement it plenty of other software did! =:^)

Unfortunately, wikipedia says he died of alcoholism in 2000 at the age of
37, his body found in a hotel room, an empty bottle of peppermint shnapps
in his hand.  The coroner's report stated the death was a result of acute
pancreatic bleeding due to chronic alcoholism.  He had earlier lost his
license due to drunk driving and was arrested several times for operating
a vehicle while intoxicated and/or with a suspended/revoked license in
the 90s, first time in 1991, so it was obviously something he struggled
with for the entire decade.

I hadn't thought of pkzip in years, and had absolutely no idea the man
had come to such an unfortunate end.  He was born in 1962 so was less
than five years older than I am.  I was 33 at his death at 37, so he's
certainly of my generation, but gone too early.

Anyway, you're in good company with those initials.  Just... stay away
from the liquor, OK?  No need to repeat that unfortunate end!

(Meanwhile, my, what random interesting and unexpected things come up
from time to time on the newsgroups and mailing lists, one of the big
reasons I continue to find them interesting to this day!  OK, I brought
this one up, but the trigger was that pk signoff, without which I'd have
easily gone another decade, perhaps a lifetime, without thinking of pkzip
and pkware again, and would likely have never known of his unhappy death.)