pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Fwd: git version of pan2 failed for compiling.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Fwd: git version of pan2 failed for compiling.
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 08:16:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hongyi Zhao posted on Fri, 08 Jan 2016 11:07:17 +0800 as excerpted:

> I use the following commands to obtain the latest git version of pan2:
>
> $ git reset --hard HEAD is now at cfb8faf Updated Serbian translation
> $ git clean -xdf Removing autom4te.cache/
> $ git pull Already up-to-date.
>
> Then I try to compiling it:
>
> $ ./autogen.sh /usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
> checking for automake >= 1.11.2...
>   testing automake... found 1.15
> checking for autoreconf >= 2.53...
>   testing autoreconf... found 2.69
> checking for intltool >= 0.25...
>   testing intltoolize... found 0.50.2
> checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
>   testing pkg-config... found 0.29
> Checking for required M4 macros...
>   intltool.m4 not found
> ***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build Pan
>   were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden macros were
>   found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your ACLOCAL_PATH?
>

> As you can see, I meed the errors as above.  But in fact I've intltool
> package installed on my Debian Jessie box:
>
> $ dpkg --get-selections |grep intltool
> intltool                   install
> intltool-debian                    install
>
> Any hints on my issue?

I'm not on debian, but here's a general explanation of the usual problem
building on binary-based distros, what to do about it, and further down,
a list of the files in my intltool package here on gentoo (which is build-
from-source using generally distro-provided build-scripts called ebuilds),
which you can compare against yours to see if something's missing.  I'm
not a dev, so chances are I won't be able to help you too much beyond
that, if it doesn't solve your problem.

As you may already know, binary-based distros such as debian commonly
split packages such as libraries in half, the half containing the pre-
built binaries, usually simply named the same as the package itself, and
a -dev or -devel half, containing the header files, pkg-config files, and
other files generally not needed to load the binaries in executables, but
rather, needed at build-time, for other packages to build against that
library.

FWIW, a quick way to ensure /most/ of what you need is installed, at
least in most cases, is to attempt to rebuild the existing package that
your distro normally ships.  That will normally pull in the required
build-time deps, which will then be there when you build the git version
as well.

Google says the appropriate invocation on debian should be...

apt-get build-dep pan

The caveat, of course, is that the git version is newer (and on a distro
and version such as debian-stable that lags upstream often by years, or
worse yet, old enterprise versions that can lag upstream by a decade,
perhaps /much/ newer), and may in turn require newer versions of whatever
deps than rebuilding the distro-shipped version does.  Sometimes the
required deps may be newer than what the build of the old version pulled
in, so you have to update those packages too.

FWIW, here's the files installed by my intltool package, on gentoo, which
doesn't split packages like that because most gentoo users build from
sources and thus need the build-time stuff too, so splitting would only
be an unnecessary headache for pretty much everyone, maintainers and
users alike.  (FWIW, the upstream version is 0.51.0, the -r1 indicates a
further gentoo bump after release of the original version on gentoo.)

$ equery files intltool

 * Contents of dev-util/intltool-0.51.0-r1:
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/intltool-extract
/usr/bin/intltool-merge
/usr/bin/intltool-prepare
/usr/bin/intltool-update
/usr/bin/intltoolize
/usr/share
/usr/share/aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/intltool.m4
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/AUTHORS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/ChangeLog.bz2
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/I18N-HOWTO.bz2
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/NEWS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/README.bz2
/usr/share/doc/intltool-0.51.0-r1/TODO.bz2
/usr/share/intltool
/usr/share/intltool/Makefile.in.in
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/intltool-extract.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/intltool-merge.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/intltool-prepare.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/intltool-update.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/intltoolize.8.bz2

Of course you don't absolutely need the /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man
stuff, but you definitely want /usr/bin/intltool* and
/usr/share/aclocal/intltool.m4.  The latter, of course, is what autogen.sh
is saying it can't find.