pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:25:32 +0000 (UTC)

Heinz Mezera posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:58:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> As I stated in my first post I'm not a native speaker to whom it would
> have been obvious what to do. I thought it's enough to change the
> content of the search field. If I enter just a bunch of characters or an
> expression would change to way the programm works. I'm very sorry having
> "wasted" your time. Please don't stop helping and explaining Pan.
>
> Does my explaination make sense to you?

It's far from a waste!

My dad, retired now but a teacher back in his day, used to say that the
best way to really learn something is to teach it.

And over the years I've found that /very/ much to be the case.  There's
simply too many viewpoints and different ways to think about it, that you
miss if you don't have others you're trying to teach forcing you to think
about them by asking you questions you'd have never considered on your
own, because your viewpoint on your own is simply too narrow.

So I appreciate the chances I get to try to explain things, because it's
a chance for me to see those things from a different viewpoint and gain
new appreciation and learn new things, as well.

Which is exactly what happened here.  To me, it was so "simply obvious"
that you clicked the magnifying glass to toggle the search type, that I
didn't even /consider/ the possibility that people wouldn't know or do
that... until I was forced to, by facing exactly that situation.

So thanks.  I definitely learned something about pan and the way people
use it, or fail to use it, myself.  And that learning, or just the chance
thereof, is what keeps me at it, as I said, hours and hours worth over a
week, week after week, month after month, year after year, on various
mailing lists.

(FWIW, I just spent over an hour on a message explaining some mid-level
technicalities involving COW-based (copy-on-write-based) filesystems like
btrfs, how those technicalities affect large database and vm-image file
use-cases, and some alternatives for mitigating the issues, over on the
btrfs list.  This isn't the first time I've done so, but as a result of
explaining that to one poster after another, repeatedly over some time, I
know that subject matter pretty well, now.  I've been doing basically the
same thing, tho the technical newsgroups and/or mailing lists I'm active
on have changed, for nearly 20 years now, since I started back on the IE/
OE newsgroups back in the IE/OE4 era, before MS Windows 98, and
definitely before I switched to Linux instead of drinking their eXPrivacy
kool-aid.[1]  =:^)

---
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid