pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?

From: Heinz Mezera
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:58:58 +0200

Hello Duncan,

Am Freitag, den 12.06.2015, 04:18 +0000 schrieb Duncan:
> Heinz Mezera posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:11:57 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > Sorry, wrong assumption. I've always tried to use a regex in the
> > search-field without changing it's "meaning". I now know this could not
> > work.
>
> So, umm... in that case, what did you think I meant when I said toggle
> the search type if it seems to get stuck?  If you weren't aware of the
> search types menu, what were you trying to do at that point in the
> instructions, instead?

I did not understand the meaning of this part of the answer, not in the
way you wanted to guide me, what I appreciate very much.

> This isn't an idle question.  I spend quite a bit of time on various
> mailing lists giving instructions, and obviously, try to write them to be
> understood.  I obviously skipped a critical step here, click the dropdown

As I stated in my first post I'm not a native speaker to whom it would
have been obvious what to do. I thought it's enough to change the
content of the search field. If I enter just a bunch of characters or an
expression would change to way the programm works. I'm very sorry having
"wasted" your time. Please don't stop helping and explaining Pan.

> and choose regex, so I know to include that next time, but I haven't the
> foggiest what you were doing with the toggle instruction if it wasn't
> that.  Maybe you were simply skipping that instruction as it made no
> sense to you at that point?  Or maybe you were doing something else, I
> have no idea what.  If I can better envision what people are thinking
> when reading my instructions, even when I'm not clear, perhaps I can make
> them clearer, the next time. =:^)

Does my explaination make sense to you?

kr from Vienna, Austria,
Heinz