pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] filter in task list

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] filter in task list
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 04:09:56 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Fricke posted on Fri, 22 May 2015 20:04:03 +0200 as excerpted:

> is this nice piece of software still active developed? :-)

Yes, but development comes in fits and starts.  There's quite some
history there, but the short version is that development can pretty much
stop for two years or more at a time, then start up and go wildfire for a
few months to a year, lots of new features to play with and debug, etc,
then development will go dormant for a couple years again.  Wash.
Rinse.  Repeat.

> I'm asking bc I'm using pan for binary downloads and I waste a lot of
> time scanning the task list and sorting/stopping par2 files, searching
> first rar files etc.
>
> It would be great to have a filter in the task view like the one in the
> main view for the headers.

That could be rather useful, particularly for binary downloaders,
indeed.  Thanks for the idea. =:^)

Tho in practice, unless you are a coder and can create the patch
yourself, or unless your idea strikes the fancy of one of the current pan
devs, the idea is likely to sit for awhile, perhaps forever,
unimplemented.  If you can either create and submit the patch yourself,
or convince another dev to do it, however, it's likely to be merged
reasonably quickly.

Either way, please file a wishlist bug for it, so the request doesn't get
lost.  The easiest way to do that is to use the help menu entry for
feedback/bug, which should open your browser to the appropriate gnome
bugtracking page with some fields (like the app, pan) already prefilled
for you, and go from there.  You will need to register for a gnome
bugzilla account if you don't already have one.

Then if you have the skills, you can develop the feature and attach a
patch (or request a git pull if you're using git) when you're ready.
Otherwise, as I said it may be awhile, but with the wishlist bug filed,
at least the request won't get lost, and it'll be there for a dev to take
up the challenge if they find it interesting, in a year or two when the
next great leaps and bounds development period triggers.