pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to hide read articles?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to hide read articles?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:01:12 +0000 (UTC)

eezacque-qWit8jRvyhVmR6Xm/wNWPw posted on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:04:48 +0100
as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>
>> eezacque-qWit8jRvyhVmR6Xm/wNWPw posted on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 11:35:53
>> +0100 as excerpted:
>>
>>> I would like to hide articles once I have read them.
>>> Any way to achieve this?
>>
>> View, Header Pane, Match Only Unread Articles.  (There's also a toolbar
>> button for it.)
>
> This requires me to uncheck and recheck the option, which works for me,
> but I would prefer a solution which makes postings automatically
> disappear once I have read them...

Oh, you want pan to hide read messages IMMEDIATELY (well, presumably
after you go to the next unread message).

AFAIK pan doesn't do that.  But it will do it if you switch to a
different group and back.

And FWIW, while these days pan has a newsrc autosave timer, back in the
day it didn't, and if it crashed while reading a group, all the messages
you'd read in that group would show up as unread again when you restarted
pan.

But pan would save newsrc state when switching groups, so on groups with
several hundred (or more) unread messages, I got in the habit of quickly
switching to some other group and back every so often, so if pan crashed
it would only lose state for the messages I had read since the last time
I switched out and back into the group.

As I said, pan now has an autosave timer for that (there's a setting for
how long between autosaves in prefs), but I still switch out and back
into groups periodically when there's a lot of messages, both to be sure
pan has saved state, and to refresh the list, hiding all the just-read
messages.