pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Messed up .newsrc

From: Andreas Nastke
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Messed up .newsrc
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:21:15 +0200

Duncan schrieb:
Andrew Nile posted on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:01:34 +0100 as excerpted:

On 12 October 2014 04:35, Duncan
<address@hidden> wrote:

Same iterator assertion error. =:^(
Hi Duncan,

I had a quick look at this. When Pan starts it attempts to restore
whatever group was open last time. If the group is missing from the
group list (as is the case when the newsrc file is missing), Pan can't
select it in the list and it asserts.

The attached patch adds a small check to ensure the specified group is
present. If not, it puts an error into the log instead of crashing.

Thanks.  Seems to keep pan from crashing, indeed. =:^)

The restore last viewed group and post feature is (relatively) new, and I guess nobody tested killing newsrcs with it. Hopefully Heinrich can merge this patch right away as a missing newsrc triggering a crash, before you can even re-fetch the group-list to get another one, isn't very nice!

Tho despite my seeing the ! even for subscribed groups in my normal newsrc, when I deleted it and restarted pan, at least the subscribed groups specific to that server (I tried the gmane server so basically all of them) disappeared. And while fetching the group list did put them back in the other groups list, they didn't get moved back to subscribed. I had to restore my old copy to get them back as subscribed.

So a note to anyone trying this even after the patch. With the patch, killing the newsrc works to reset all groups, but be sure you have a list of subscribed groups so you can resubscribe, as pan doesn't seem to use the usual colon/exclamation mechanism to store that info, but whatever it does use seems to get mixed up if the file is deleted and refetched. So have your list of subscribed groups made and ready to put in.

have a look at ${PAN_HOME}/groups

should contain header information files for each group ever subscribed to;
even if you unsubscribe explicitly, the file remains intact. so you can
're-subscribe' without loosing the last state of the group.

Or just edit the file and delete the numbers. That works too, without screwing up the subscribed groups.

--
Mit besten Grüßen / Kind Regards

Andreas Nastke
IT System Management

g/d/p Markt- und Sozialforschung GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der Forschungsgruppe g/d/p
Richardstr. 18
D-22081 Hamburg
Fon: +49 (0)40 / 29876-117
Fax: +49 (0)40 / 29876-127
address@hidden
www.gdp-group.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft ist Hamburg, Handelsregister Hamburg, HRB 40482
Geschäftsführer: Christa Braaß, Volker Rohweder

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If
you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and  delete
this e-mail from your whole system. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.