pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.

From: Christian Dysthe
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:27:56 -0500

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 09:50 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Christian Dysthe posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:19:08 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having a strange problem with Pan built from git (GTK 2). One one
> > particular news group the threading indication/indentation is gray. On
> > all other newsgroups it's white. I have tried to unsubscribe to this one
> > newsgroup and then add it again, but I get the same result.
> >
> > Here's a screen shot of the group that get gray background:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2vpfleqxs7y27t/Pan140-2.png
> >
> > Here'a a screen shot of how all other news groups look:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/w829sjrkudffmuj/Pan140-1.png
> >
> > Any idea why that one group get the gray background? Is this a setting
> > somewhere that I am missing?
>
> Heh, your color-scheme is /entirely/ different than mine.
>
> This shot's a bit old (2013) but still representative.  Pan is on the
> middle monitor.  Note that it's a triple full-HD monitor stacked desktop
> for a full 1920x3240 px screenshot, full-size, so you'll probably need a
> scaling viewer to see the full thing at once, then scale to 100% to see
> it at full-size and scroll around, tho even "full size" won't do it
> justice unless you're running 42-inch TVs as monitors as I am (for the
> bottom two, anyway).
>
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/11/duncan-fullscreen.png

Sure is different! Yours has more of classic terminal colors with
transparency while mine is very flat using the Numix gtk and icon theme
in Gnome-Shell.

> Tho I've switched pan's groups and body panes so groups is on the left
> now, and I got new contacts and reduced the font sizes somewhat.

I prefer all panes stacked. Used it like that since forever.

> Anyway...
>
> That is indeed a rather strange problem.  Given my dark-background color
> prefs I've had my share of strange color issues on pan and elsewhere, but
> I don't recall seeing anything like that, certainly not for one group
> only.
>
> Based on the above you are already building pan against gtk2, which would
> be my first recommendation, since pan built against gtk3 mostly works,
> but people do report strange issues with it reasonably frequently, that
> go away when they build pan against gtk2, and the gtk3 port simply
> doesn't get the testing or wide deployment of gtk2, so... But you're
> already building against gtk2, so that can't be it.

I have built successfully against gtk3 and Pan works except for one
thing: When I scroll through a newsgroup suddenly the whole window
resizes seemingly by opening certain messages. The window suddenly gets
much wider. I have to reset it to preferred width, but it resizes again
later when I hit one of those "trigger messages". I do not think I have
the skills to determine why a certain message causes this resize

> Tho it wouldn't hurt verifying that.  Run ldd pan in a terminal window,
> and check that it's not loading any gtk3 stuff.  As I don't even have gtk3
> on my box, it can't load it here, but verifying that it's only doing gtk2
> on a box with gtk3 can't hurt.  In particular, my libgtk and libgdk lines
> look like this (gentoo ~amd64 box, hex numbers omitted):
>
> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
> libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
> libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

Mine:
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
=> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

> FWIW, my gtk/gdk-pixbuf/cairo versions are as follows (the -r3 on cairo
> is a gentoo-specific revision number indication):
>
> gdk-pixbuf-2.30.8
> gtk+-2.24.24
> cairo-1.12.16-r3
>
> The other possibility is that it's a color issue.  You don't happen to
> have any scoring set that might apply to all articles in that group, do
> you?  You can try fiddling with pan color prefs a bit, both for scores
> and for "other text", and see if that affects it.  But I don't see how it
> could for just that group, /unless/ it was related to a score you had set
> that happens to affect everything in that group and little or nothing
> else, but score colors normally only affect the score column, so that
> shouldn't be it either.

No scoring set as of present.

> The only really group-specific settings are visible in group
> preferences.  There's color, which normally only affects the group pane
> so shouldn't have any effect on the headers pane, and charset.
>
> Charset!  That might actually be it!  Might there be some post in that
> group with a strange charset used in either the subject or author
> header?  Since the threading indention is in the subject column, that
> would be the strongest candidate.  If there's some exotic charset used in
> a subject header, it's just possible that gtk's processing of it triggers
> a rendering bug that results in the off-color seen in whatever pan or gtk
> is using for the header spacing.  If pan's using an exotic space
> character as it's threading spacer, as it might be...  Admittedly that's
> reaching a bit for an explanation, but it's the best one I can think of
> that fits the evidence we have so far.

And there it is! There was a post with on of those white vertical
rectangles indicating a character that couldn't be rendered. I removed
that post and restarted pan. Problem solved!

I do not need to go through the procedures below I guess, so thank you
for looking into this and pointing me in the right direction!

--
//Christian
Dropbox. Your files from anywhere: http://db.tt/U8MqkVR