pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan on Ubuntu 14.04

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:21:08 -0700

On 04/23/2014 11:39 AM, David Shochat wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:13:45 -0500, Chris Gentle wrote:
>
>> Well, that's a start.  Thanks for the info.
>>
> I think the culture of this group prefers that follow-ups be posted at
> the bottom of the thread (which is what pan does). Anyway, I just tried
> building from source under Ubuntu 14.04 using the following steps:
> git clone git://git.gnome.org/pan2
> cd pan2
> autogen.sh
> configure --with-gnutls
> make
> sudo make install
>
> I apparently have all the necessary dev packages since this succeeded.
> Said it used GnuTLS 3.2.11. This way, it installs to /usr/local so as not
> to conflict with the version that comes with Ubuntu (which does not
> support SSL). So I ran it using /usr/local/bin/pan
> I am using that version to post this. I can see from the server
> configuration screen that secure connection is now offered, but I have
> not yet tested it.
> -- David

Hi David.  From your headers I can see you're running the same version of
pan.git that I'm using.

I'm seeing a bug that very rarely halts pan with a "corrupted doubly-linked
list" error, and I'm trying to track it down.

These days I run pan in gdb because for a while I was seeing segfaults in
almost every pan session, but lately it's been the corrupted list problem
instead of the segfault problem.  (I guess that's a good thing :)

I see the corrupted-list error while downloading gazillions of new articles
in binaries groups and, as I said, the error may not occur until hours of
downloading have elapsed.  Very annoying :(