pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Odd issue with latest git code

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Odd issue with latest git code
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 04:20:30 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:55:39 +0000 as excerpted:

> Very strange, because I did a git pull before reporting this, and it
> said it was current.  The last commit I have is dated March 26, 2014.
>
> But my Help->About shows 71661f50 as well.
>
> My git log, though, shows change 2ae6aff at the top.
>
> That means there could be something messed up in my build process (I'm
> building using the Open Build Service), but the patches for things like
> the background color on quoted text are in my system (which I think is
> the body-pane fix in 2ae6aff, IIRC).  I definitely have Andrew Nile's
> patches from 8bd71842.
>
> So now I'm more confused.
>
> Where does the info get pulled from for about->help and the posting
> header?

If you search git, you'll find the commit that added that information...
a couple years ago, actually probably three or more now. =:^)

AFAIK it uses git functionality (a git show query or some such) to set
the value at build time.

Which I'd guess means you're updating the repo but then checking out a
specific commit from sometime back instead of using master-branch HEAD.
I know nothing about Open Build Service, but certainly gentoo's various
generation git-eclass based live-ebuilds can set a specific variable that
will tell the ebuild to checkout and build that specific commit/tag/
whatever, instead of HEAD, and I'd guess you're somehow configured to do
something similar there.

Did you ever have a build/run problem with HEAD and set it to pull from
an earlier commit that worked... and then forget about it so it's still
using that now rather older than intended commit?  That'd be the most
likely explanation.

Meanwhile, if you're current, all those color patches and etc have been
applied to master, so you'd be getting patch-reversed errors trying to
apply them.  The fact that you're not, again indicates that you're
building from something rather older than current master HEAD.

So I'd guess we've found the problem; now you just have to figure out
where that stale config setting that old commit is coming from, and
change it! =:^)