pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] binary for CentOS 6.4??

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] binary for CentOS 6.4??
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 22:48:13 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Sun, 09 Feb 2014 19:30:25 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:35:16 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> I've been using Fedora since FC 6, and Pan has always been in the
>> standard repos.  I see no reason the rpm shouldn't work for you.
>
> I don't seem to be getting my question across. I've had ones that
> work in *Fedora* ever since it was RH 7. Now I want one that works *in
> CentOS 6.5* -- and it's not in the standard *CentOS repos*.
>
> Using an rpm from one distro in a *different* *distro*, so I'm
> told, may work. May. But the odds are against you.
>
> So if there's anyone here using Pan in CentOS, please tell what
> release and from  where.

As you know, I'm a gentooer, not a RH/Fedora/CentOS guy.  However...

Rpmfind.net seems to have packages from the "DAG packages for Red Hat
Linux el6" repository for pan, which (because as JH says CentOS is a RHEL
rebrand) will almost certainly work just fine on CentOS 6 as well.

Looks like they're a bit dated, latest available is 0.135 (with 0.134 and
0.133 also available for el6 and earlier versions all the way back to
before the C++ rewrite available for el5 and el4), but they're there.

That's what I'd try -- back a decade ago when I still ran Mandrake, I
used a lot of rawhide packages on it, including PAN IIRC, and apart from
having to update a few deps from the same rawhide on rpmfind location, it
worked just fine.

If you run into any deps not available directly, they too should be
available on rpmfind/DAG.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pan

Or more precisely limited to DAG packages...

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pan&system=dag

You can plug in your arch as appropriate and do an even more limited
search.