pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...

From: John Wendel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan for windows max connections...
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:53:10 -0800

On 12/28/2013 10:14 AM, Alan Meyer wrote:
John Lewis <address@hidden> wrote:

Is there a way to configure pan to have connections greater than
4?  The gui seems to override any changes made to the XML file for
this property.
I recommend that you check your actual download speed both before
and after switching to more than four connections.  Unless you're
getting a significant and useful boost, I'd set it back to a max of
four.

There's always going to be some maximum number of connections at
which you saturate some resource - Internet connection speed, CPU,
writing to disk, or whatever.  Beyond that your actual download
speeds stay the same or get worse instead of better.

I would think that having really large numbers of connections will
also make you more conspicuous to the management programs monitoring
traffic at your ISP and at your news server.  So bear in mind that
you could be calling attention to yourself with large numbers of
connections.

Good advice. I've found that 4 connections can max out my 50Mb connection. Of course it depends on your ISP and NSP, so YMMV. Depending on your NSP, you can run more than one copy of PAN, the configuration is left as an exercise for the student (clone your .pan2 directory with a new name and appropriate changes).

Regards,

John