pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Fwd: pan installing error on 10.9 Mavericks on a freshbr

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Fwd: pan installing error on 10.9 Mavericks on a freshbrew installation (2nd)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:32:13 +0000 (UTC)

FritzS - gmx posted on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 07:04:23 +0100 as excerpted:

>> please could you give me a hint, whats wrong here?
>
> Could anyone help me to resolve the pan installing problem under
> homebrew?
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Posting in HTML is frowned upon here.
>
> sorry I overseen to klick on "convert to plain text" in my Mail.app
>
> Apples Mail.app send HTML per default.
>
> Should I send my first mail again?

Beyond the html (in the first post, not this one, thanks), I think the
problem is that few (none?) here have a clue what Mavericks even is.

I originally thought it must be some sort Linux distribution... IIRC one
I read about some years ago called its package installation scripts
"spells" and used the same theme for its package manager name, tho I
don't remember it, and I figured this must be a variant on that using
witch's brews and the like, with "homebrew" probably a variant where you
built the package yourself, then installed it using the normal package
installer.

But what that had to do with Mavericks I didn't know... So I waited for
more information to be forthcoming...

With this post we get a few more clues... Apple's Mail.app, so maybe
you're talking about some sort of Apple OS... and indeed, a google on
"mavericks" has an OSX Mavericks release hit near the top of the first
page, tho I thought their releases were all cat names, tho now that I
think of it, I do recall reading some headline about them switching away
from cat names, recently, so I guess Mavericks is one of their first non-
cat releases ???  Assuming that...

FWIW, I'm a freedomware person, and won't touch anything servantware (in
the context of my sig) related, not even the Flash browser plugin or
servantware drivers (tho I do draw the line at firmware blobs that don't
run on the CPU, and will let the kernel load them onto my Radeon graphics
card, for instance), and Apple's platforms, both IOS and OSX, are
servantware, so /whatever/ I read about it is like reading about
political developments in Kazakstan or the latest Mars Curiosity rover
maneuvers... they might be a bit interesting... or not... but it's not
like they're likely to have a direct effect on /me/ any time soon.

So I'm not likely to be of much help, tho some of the details of that
"brew" /do/ look a bit like the dependency specs and etc from a gentoo
ebuild script, and I see what appears to be a patch of some sort, but
that's still not enough to be of much help.

There was one guy here who ran OSX; Scifi was his handle.  But last I
knew he was trying to get off of OSX onto Linux, and I've not seen a post
from him in quite awhile.  And I don't recall him ever posting anything
about homebrews, etc -- I think he used one of the other Linux/Unix
packages on OSX setups (google says macports and fink are the other,
older choices, I guess he used one of those).  Still, it might be worth
searching the list archive for his posts since he's certainly the closest
we had to a list regular that knew much about running pan on OSX, at all.

Other than that, I doubt you'll get much from here, until you get pan up
and running and are asking questions about its preferences and UI, etc.
THEN we can help. =:^)

As for homebrew, presumably wherever they come from has some sort of user
mailing-lists, web-forums and/or IRC-channels you can post questions to,
similar to how most Linux distros have their own mailing-lists/web-forums/
IRC-channels (and to this pan application mailing list).  I'd guess you'd
have much better luck with such questions there, as at least you'd be
asking people that know what you're talking about in respect to that,
even if they don't run pan and thus aren't familiar with it.

Meanwhile, I googled osx mavericks and got some hits, including some
hints that there's some problems with it and mavericks that you'll need
to fix to get homebrew working correctly on it.  But I've little
knowledge or personal interest in it, and I guess you can google the same
thing I did and probably already have a better idea what other search
terms you might add to properly narrow down the search to what you need,
so I'll let you take it from there.

But definitely, if you have any questions about pan once you have it up
and running, please post 'em here!  There's some not-exactly-obvious tips
and tricks that you might or might not find useful, like the possibility
of running multiple different pan instances, each with its own config, or
setting more than the UI-maximum 4 connections per server, but no use
confusing you with that until you get it installed and working at the
basic level first, so I won't. =:^)