pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Can I get Pan for CentOS 6.4

From: Beartooth
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Can I get Pan for CentOS 6.4
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 18:01:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 04:50:41 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Beartooth posted on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:32:55 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> I've just installed 6.4 on an old T30 ThinkPad, and I'm in the midst of
>> setting it up. Can I get an rpm of Pan somewhere? [....]

> rpmfind is still around, and lists x86_64 pan-0.139 rpms for a number of
> Fedora (rawhide, 19, 18), OpenSuSE (factory, 12.3) and Mageia (cauldron,
> 3) distro releases.

        That got me started (many thanks!) -- and more poking eventually
got me to the fedoraproject site for epel and the rpmfusion repos. They
had packages specifically for epel and rpmfusion (along with a caveat
that tells you -- *after* you've gotten rpmfusion -- to get epel first.

> Presumably if you're still on 32-bit, you can change the arch
> accordingly and get a working rpm, but be aware that with 32-bit some
> distros will use i386, others i586 or i686, so you might want to search
> for each or simply leave the arch blank (tho then you'll get ppc and etc
> hits as well).
>
> However, note that 64-bit pan is definitely recommended if you're going
> to be using pan on large (millions of posts) groups, as 32-bit pan is
> known to run into the standard 32-bit 2-gig-per-process memory limit for
> such groups, and 64-bit pan won't have that problem, tho you may simply
> run out of memory.

        Here you lose me. I understand 32 vs. 64 (I think); but what are
the differences between i386, i586, and i686? How do I tell which I've
got?

> If you're willing to go with something earlier than pan-0.139 in ordered
> to get more directly RHEL/CentOS compatible packages, I see 0.135, 0.134
> and 0.133 listed, DAG packages for Red Hat Linux el6, which should be
> centos 6 compatible tho I don't know about the minor release version
> (centos 6.4).

        I would be willing -- my kingdom for a Pan! -- but the
fedoraproject for the rpmfusions *seems* designed to be exactly what I
want. I have memories clear back to RH7 of dependency hells ....

> Personally, I'd try the pan-0.139 fedora 18/19 packages first, as
> they're current pan version and fedora being red hat family...

        With respect, that sounds like an open invitation to all the
fiends of dependency-hell.

> Here's the general rpm find pan search link.  You can set arch and
> otherwise modify the search from there.  (I just used firefox's search
> in page function to find 0.139 versions, etc.)
>
> http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pan

        Hunting through that by hand was what reminded me to look up
rpmfusion; so I owe you yet another round of thanks, be the current
glitch what it may.

        While the display on the T30 is working, I just thought to try
with packagekit to eliminate the fusions while keeping epel (actually,
EPEL; it seems to matter). It tells me that I have to remove the
repository configurations along with the fusions -- a thing I'd've done
before if I could.

        I approved that, and am now having to refresh my sources in
packagekit in order to get the infusions back and (I hope) get them right
this time. This looks like it wants to put me through some tedious
juggling of non-commutative commands. Stay tuned.

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.