pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan/0.139 - threading issue [solved - maybe]
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:37:30 +0100

On Saturday 24 August 2013 11:28:15 Dave wrote:
> On Friday 23 August 2013 21:42:39 Heinrich Müller wrote:
> > I also strongly suspect it's the fault of either gmime or another
> > library. I won't investigate this in the near future, but you could
> > create a bug ticket for this issue.
> > I know I haven't been actively developing Pan in the last few months,
> > but I'll come back to it when
> > I have the time.
>
> Hi Heinrich,
>
> Yes, I'll do that once I work out how :-)
> (and thanks for keeping a great newsreader up to date)
>
> I've also discovered that the "effect" changes slightly if I change the
> MID. The default "random" MID allows a deeper level of threading before
> the MID is split in the "wrong" place, depening on the length of other
> posters MIDs in the References: header.  Using the custom domain MID which
> displays as pan. {date}:{domain}.{tld} causes the problem from the first
> reply.

After trying and failing on FreeBSD and Ubuntu to build from latest Git
version,  I deleted gmime26 (only Pan requires it), installed gmime24 and edit
the FreeBSD port Makefile for Pan to look for gmime24 instead of gmime26.

Replies are now threading correctly and MIDs in the References: headers are
split correctly, ie NOT in the middle of the MID.

Whether this is a gmime26 problem, a Pan problem or a FreeBSD ports
implementation of either gmime26 or Pan is  beyond my level of understanding,
but at least it works now.