pan-users

[Pan-users] pan list admin question: turn off gmane address obfuscation?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] pan list admin question: turn off gmane address obfuscation?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 13:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

General question for list regulars using gmane to follow this list:

What do you think about requesting that gmane turn off the email address
obfuscation (the user-* at public.gmane.org addresses, even here I have
to split the "fake" address to avoid triggering the obfuscation)?

It's a gmane per-group/list option normally set when a group is created
or at the request of the list admin, and is off for some groups/lists,
which is why they show email addresses normally.

IMO, for this list in particular, it's more trouble than it's worth,
because even discussion of message-ids and the like, often (always?)
similar in format to email addresses, get munged, and that's a huge
hassle when the unmunged version is apropos to the conversation as it
often is here.

I've thought about asking to have the option turned off for this list for
awhile, but thought I should ask what others here think about it before I
do.  If a regular has a strong preference for keeping things as they are,
I'll forget about the idea, but it should be obvious by now what I'd
prefer. =:^/  What does everyone else here think about the idea?

If I do ask, it'll probably be for both pan.user and pan.devel at the
same time, unless people object.

@ Petr, Heinrich and KHaley:  Obviously your votes count more than most.
Do any of you use gmane, and regardless, do any of you have strong
preferences on this?  I think if say (with reference to this thread on
gmane) the idea was discussed and that I'm a list regular of 10+ years
gmane will do it if I ask, but I believe Petr's the official list admin,
in case they want official word.