pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Howto unwrap text in body pane to available space

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Howto unwrap text in body pane to available space
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:33:39 +0000 (UTC)

ashwin posted on Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:13:07 +0000 as excerpted:

> I like this layout better than other layout i was using (the default
> one).

Thanks.  I wish that all general three-pane message reader apps (mail,
news, feed-reader, etc) were as flexible with their layout as pan is, as
after trying all sorts of things, this layout is definitely preferred
here.  Unfortunately, not all tri-pane message apps have that level of
flexibility, and pan has spoiled me. =:^)

> The layout you mentioned is so much better. But i still feel that text
> that wraps around the window length would be better. Thank you for the
> support.

Years ago I definitely agreed and was quite frustrated, and I still agree
intellectually/in-theory.  However, in practice, I think I've used pan
for so long and become so used to this quirk, that at least with the
layout change described previously, it no longer bothers me.

<sheepish> In fact I'm slightly bothered by the fact that my emotional
gut reaction was to shout irrationally IT'S A FEATURE, NOT A BUG, even if
rationally I agree with you and know that I too found it frustrating,
until I got used to it.  I suspect I might even find some reason to be
frustrated with proper window-width wrapping, these days, if only because
it's not the way I'm used to pan working. </sheepish>

Anyway, glad you found the layout suggestion useful, but fair warning
that you too might suddenly find yourself frustrated with the lack of
layout flexibility of similar tri-pane apps, now. =:^)