pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 refuses to start!

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 refuses to start!
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:58:28 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:05:35 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:39:26 +0200, Heinrich Müller wrote:
>
>> Normally this just means that pan has been started twice.
>> Check with top/htop.
>
>   Interesting thought, but I still get the 'failure to start' if I try
> Pan immediately after login.

At least on kde, if pan is in your kde session, it'll be auto-started
when you start kde again, and depending on how your kde session is
configured, pan will be in it if it was running (even if hidden) when you
quit kde.

> I'm not familiar with your "top/htop" suggestion, Heinrich.
> Could you clarify, please?

top is named after what it does best, show the top five users of memory/
cpu/etc.  But what it is is an auto-refreshing list of current processes
that can be filtered on user and a few other things, and sorted on any
column, including memory usage, cpu usage, etc.

htop is an improved version of top.

But the idea is get a process list, whether using top/htop/ps/whatever,
or a GUI equivilent (kde's task list available from krunner, for
instance), and see if pan's listed in it.