pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How about Pan for Android?

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How about Pan for Android?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:04:14 -0700

On 02/11/2013 11:05 AM, Heinrich Müller wrote:
>> How much trouble would it be to port Pan to Android?
> Sorry, but this absolutely out of scope. There is far too much work
> involved in this.
> There's afaik no gtk, so all of the GUI would need to be rewritten
> and there would be the need for memory optimizations.

In addition to no gtk port, there's also the Android app lifecycle to deal
with -- Pan would have to be refactored into a service and a user interface
in order to not be terminated when the user switches to another app that
needs Pan's resources.

Best we can do is hope for a halfway-decent, native, open-source Usenet
client and port any missing functionality from Pan.

Rob