pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Making Pan behave like OE/Windows Mail

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Making Pan behave like OE/Windows Mail
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:41:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:43:03 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> David WE Roberts posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:02:06 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Yep - just tested a bit further.
>> For each numeric score, when sorted on score, the threads are sorted in
>> date order oldest first.
>>
>> So you get score 9999 - oldest to youngest Followed by score 100 -
>> oldest to youngest Followed by score 0 - oldest to youngest.
>> etc.
>>
>> So not an unstable sort but a sort policy which I don't fully
>> understand.
>
> What happens if you click the score column again, to reverse the order?
>
> I said it before.  It's using primary and secondary sort keys, the
> secondary one being date as that was the last sort before score.  But
> there's just one order, so if you have scores sorted one way, the
> secondary key (date in this case) will be sorted the same way.
>
> You have score high at the top, which matches oldest date at the top as
> the secondary key.  Reverse the sort and you should have score low at
> the top, with youngest date within that score first.
>
> What is there left to not fully understand?
>

> All that said, one /could/ argue that the earliest date should be the
> smallest, and corresponding to the smallest score.  However, IMO that's
> simply arbitrary.  It's ALSO possible that it's determined by the widget
> library's list sort function, *NOT* pan, which would make changing it in
> pan difficult as it's an upstream thing, but I don't know that.

O.K. - penny has finally dropped!

(1) Click on Date column until oldest thread is shown at top of header
pane.

(2) Click on Score column - highest score then at bottom of header pane.

(3) Click on Score column again and highest score is at the top of the
header pane, and everything is sorted in 'latest thread first' order.

Something that I still find counter-intuitive but at least now I can get
the result I was seeking.

Thanks

Dave R