pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Anyone using a news server that speaks xzver?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Anyone using a news server that speaks xzver?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 09:30:20 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:36:17 +0000 as excerpted:

> walt posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 07:31:14 -0800 as excerpted:
>

>> Yes, I'm running the same version because at this early stage pan seems
>> to ignore the "use header compression" checkbox in the preferences
>> editor, which means pan still uses xzver even if I "turn it off".
>
> I figured that was a per-server setting, so looked in server settings,
> where I (naturally, since it's not there) couldn't find any such
> setting.  It never occurred to me to look in prefs for that, since to me
> it's CLEARLY a per-server setting.  No more does this make sense to me
> as a global setting, than would a global SSL or port setting.

OK, reverted back to HEAD.  Looks like I was correct with my first guess,
it's a per-server setting, and the combination of my missing it when
looking for it originally, and your misdirection to preferences (which I
took to mean pan prefs, not server prefs) had me looking in the wrong
place.

So per-server it already is. =:^)

But, you do seem to be correct, the setting doesn't seem to be working
yet.  gmane logs a 500 What error for XZVER regardless of whether I have
the compression setting enabled in the server prefs for gmane or not. =:^(

So I'll be reverting again.  But I can still /send/ messages from the
broken-for-fetching-overviews version, so I will.

Meanwhile, I looked up this message in the new sent messages folder to
reply, and set the newsgroups line (and posting profile) appropriately.
That's the first time for that.  We'll see if /that/ works.