pan-users

[Pan-users] Regex in subject/author search?

From: Juergen Weinelt
Subject: [Pan-users] Regex in subject/author search?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:56:12 +0100

First of all - hi all! I joined the pan-users mailing list just a few
weeks ago, so if the following has already been discussed umpteen times
in the past, please just say so and I'll shut up. :)

All the talk about the REGEX in the scoring functions reminded me that
whenever I'm using the subject/author search, there seems to be no
pattern matching at all...? There are two features that I'd find
extremely helpful in the search function:

1) Some kind of pattern matching; REGEX would be perfect, but even
   something really simple like the way "?" and "*" work in the bash
   shell would be a definite improvement.

2) Negative matching: match everything EXCEPT the pattern (or search
   string). Great for removing certain junk from view without actually
   entering a new Scoring rule.

Yes, I could do both using the Scoring. But sometimes it's quicker and
more intuitive to just type a pattern into the search box. Scoring is
fine for permanently highlighting and/or deleting posts, but not for
temporary things.

Let's call it a "feature suggestion"? "Feature request" sounds so
demanding... :-)

Thanks,

--
Juergen Weinelt