pan-users

[Pan-users] nested rules, Re: Pan-users Digest, Vol 119, Issue 9

From: FritzS - gmx
Subject: [Pan-users] nested rules, Re: Pan-users Digest, Vol 119, Issue 9
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:13:18 +0100

Am 19.12.2012 um 18:00 schrieb address@hidden:

> FritzS - gmx posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:03:53 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> Hi,
>> how could I create nested rules?
>> With Boolean terms -->  (...)  AND  OR
>>
>> like this
>
> Please turn off the HTML, at least when posting to the pan list.  I
> suppose you know how bad it looks in pan when others post with it.

sorry, I overseen this - my mac mail.app send default in html

> I'm guessing you mean scoring rules, not just rules, which in pan context
> have a different meaning, as old-pan had something called "rules" that it
> used differently.
>
> For complex scoring rules, you may have to edit the scorefile directly,
> as pan's scoring GUI simply wasn't designed for that.  pan uses slrn
> scorefile format (minus advanced stuff like include, and case insensitive
> by default).  The documentation for it is available here:
>
> http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt
>
> Quoting from it:
>
>  The `Score' keyword is used to assign a score to the header.
>  If it is followed by a single colon, the score is only given if all
>  tests are passed (logical AND); two colons indicate that the score
>  should be awarded if any of the tests are passed (logical OR).
>

> I'd suggest reading the linked document in full, especially the example
> scorefile (part 3) and explanation (part 4), as that can be clearer than
> the bare rules in the first couple parts.
>
> Down at the bottom, there's this (with an example I'm not posting), but I
> don't know for sure if pan supports it or not, and I'm headed to work in
> a few minutes so I don't have time to experiment before I post:
>
>  Lines enclosed in curly braces are grouped; the initial brace is
>  followed by one or two colons that indicate whether only one (`::') or
>  all of the lines (`:') inside the group need to match for the group to
>  pass.
>
> If pan doesn't take the curly-brace grouping, you can of course still do
> the same thing using separate scoring rules.

Now I use this in the score file
%--------------------------------------------
% Chamaeleon

[de.*, at.*]
Score: =-7444

%--------------------------------------------

but the second line are ignored from pan, if I write this false
"address@hidden" it works too.

Here the original NNTP header lines from a message I want to score

Did I adapt this correct for the score file?

What effected the   ^   and the   $
sample

> One thing to note if compare the example file against what pan creates
> using its GUI.  The pan GUI doesn't create the most elegant or organized
> scorefile, for sure.  If you do a lot of scorefile hand editing (and
> possibly even if you don't, simply for scoring efficiency if you have a
> lot of scoring rules), it's worthwhile to organize things manually, and
> do most of your editing manually after that.  Here, I did my
> organization, leaving a comment at the bottom under which all new entries
> are added if I use the pan GUI to do so.  Particularly for expiring
> scores, I'll often create the score initially using the GUI, then edit
> the scorefile, removing all comments but the %BOS line with the date and
> possible a reason appended.  And I'll go in and kill all the expired ones
> occasionally.

The most entries I make with Smultron - a simple and good editor for Mac

Pan runs with MacPorts on Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

--
FritzS
address@hidden