pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan for Windows crashes when reading large newsgroup

From: K Shen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan for Windows crashes when reading large newsgroup
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 01:49:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi Steve and Duncan,

Thanks for your replies. I had hope that the 32 bit pan would be able to use
all 4G of memory on my 64 bit Win 7 OS, but from what Steve is saying, I guess
it is still limited to the 2G limit. (As Steve said, I don't think there is a
64 bit pre-built binary version of pan for Windows).

I was also trying to see if there might be other reasons for the recent
increase in memory usage; I guess the only reason is that the traffic on this
newsgroup have increased recently.

Duncan, thanks for the details on the reason why pan is using so much memory. I
wonder if it is possible to reduce the number of headers kept in memory in the
ways I suggested, i.e.

1) Do not read in all headers, but only those that are specified via filters
(e.g. to certain authors/titles). I am already filtering the headers I do see
already, as there is no way I can deal with all the millions of headers, so I
only ever see a very small subset of these anyway. I know that if a header is
not read in, I will not be able to see the associated article, but in order to
reduce the memory usage, it seems the first thing to give up is these filtered
headers that I would most likely see even if they are read in anyway. Can this
be done, or is there some reason that all headers have to be read in?

2) Read in N day's worth of headers, but not necessarily the last N days, i.e.
read in older headers, starting from an earlier date than today, e.g. 10 days
of headers starting 10 days ago (i.e. headers from 10-20 days ago).

These seem to be simpler to implement than changing the way pan handles headers
(using database as you suggested). I am not familiar with programming
newsreaders, so perhaps I missed something?

I am using pan for Windows because pan is the only newsreader I found that
could handle newsgroup with large number of articles, I have an Intel Mac as
well as the Windows 7 laptop that I can read newsgroups. Actually I would
prefer to read news on my Mac (which has 16G of real memory), but I haven't
found a newsreader that can read in more than 100K of headers. Is there any
alternatives to pan that can handle huge number of headers? I am actually
trying to see if I can run pan on my Mac now, but I can't find any pre-built
binaries, so I am trying to compile it now, but this seems non-trivial....

Thanks again,

Kish Shen