pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] article-cache v 0.139

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] article-cache v 0.139
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 04:32:39 +0000 (UTC)

poub281104-pan-Qt13gs6zZMY posted on Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:57:46 +0100 as
excerpted:

> Hello,
>
> I use pan 0.139 on Xubuntu 12.04 and I meet problems downloading
> binaries but I can see text only messages.
> My usenet server is reader.usenetbucket.com, SSL 563.
> 1) Pan  does not keep the headers when I quit and I have to download
> them again.
> 2) I get the following error(s) when I want to download a file :
>  ERROR: Could not open source file
>  /home/myname/.pan2/article-cache/Part1of54.28F9504 [...]
>  Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
> ***It means no file or directory of this kind
>
> I have emailed to the owner of this news servers and he replied to use
> Binreader and it works perfectly so I deduce Pan is faulty.

Have you checked the existence and permissions on that path?  How much
free space do you have on that partition, and if your installation is
running user quotas, how close to quota is the user you run pan as?

It sounds to me like pan's downloading the information but can't save it,
presumably due to wrong permissions or a full partition.  It would keep
some information in memory, probably enough to display text messages altho
I'm not positive of that, but not being able to save anything to disk
would explain both why it can't find the files when it tries to decode
binary attachments, AND why it isn't keeping the headers around, since it
only has the information it's able to keep in memory to work with -- it
can't save anything.