pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.139 crash with large groups

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.139 crash with large groups
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 10:50:10 +0200

Am 01.09.2012 02:04, schrieb wim delvaux:
Hi all,

for some reason pan crashes when I want to open a group containing lots of
messages.

I ran 0.139 in gdb to see if I could collect a stack dump but when the crash
occurs, there is no stack to be inspected.  I compiled the 139 release using
CLAGS and CXXFLAGS=-g but it does not seem to be enough.

I also ran it through valgrind but it takes to damn long ... however I noticed
lots of overruns (accessing bytes outside of the allocated memory)

at the end you can find one such an example

There's no help until I implement a database backend. The error stems
from pan itself allocating too much memory. I guess you're running pan
in a 32bit environment and the RAM pan wants is more than your address
space can handle.

Cheers.