pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan .139 starting with last viewed group from previous s

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan .139 starting with last viewed group from previous session
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:17:27 +0000 (UTC)

Will posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 05:35:46 -0500 as excerpted:

> The new pan on start is opening the the last group I had opened from the
> previous session. How do I disable this?

Two possibilities:

1) For Sexual Chocolate (0.139, but this time the name fires my
imagination! =:^), one of the changelog entries says "clear last-visited
(group/article) on middle-click".  So try that. =:^)  (But I think the
last-visited memory feature appeared in 0.138, while the middle-click-
clear didn't appear until after its release, so people stuck with it...)

2) What I've developed the habit of doing, actually quite some time ago
for an unrelated reason, is occasionally clicking over to a different
group, then back.  Pan saves state to disk with group-switches, and at
times I've not had the most stable system.

Digression time... =:^)

For example, until a few weeks ago I was running on an nearly 9 year old
mobo, $400 dual 3-digit Opteron server-board that was obviously high end
for its time (I had upgraded to top-of-the-line dual-core Opteron 290s,
so quad-cores @ 2.8 GHz, not too bad even today, but 9 years ago even the
dual Opteron 242s, single-core @ 1.6 GHz IIRC, that I started with, was
impressive), and actually not too bad even today, tho PCI-X and AGP
instead of PCI-E was getting hard to update graphics cards for...
Anyway, I started having stability issues.  Turns out I finally popped a
capacitor on the mobo, and a few others were bulging, so it was time.
But for several weeks I was able to continue to run it... as long as I
kept the AC turned down low enough... about 20C/68F max, or it would
crash.  That here in a Phoenix summer with temps of 40C/104F+, so I like
a room temp of 28C/82F, and at 20C/68F I was bundled up in a heavy
jacket, wearing a warm hat with slacks and a blanket over my legs, just
to keep warm while I worked on the computer I was trying to keep cool
enough to keep it from crashing!

I really don't have the money for a replacement, but applied for credit
at Fry's Electronics and got way more than I expected/wanted, and was
able to finance most of the pieces, $150 gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 mobo,
$130 6-core bulldozer fx6100, plus a new case and a radeon hd6770 as my
old hd4650 was agp, and a blu-ray dvd-burner (USB, so it'll work with my
netbook as well, my old dvd-burner was PATA) year-same-as-cash.  That
came to ~$580 after tax.  I did buy 4x4-gig (16 gig total) sticks of DDR3
for $80 (the old system was DDR-1) and a $20-ish optical S/PDIF cable,
cash, tho, so spent ~$100 up front.  (I already had a new 2.5" half-TB
SATA drive as I thought it was my drives going out at first, and my power
supply's rated 800W for the old dual CPU system and four 3.5" drives I
had raided, so it was fine.

Then I spent a week reconfiguring everything for the new system.

So I've a nice new system now, a /moderate/ upgrade on what I had before,
but **MUCH** cheaper, and now mid-level, compared to what was lower-mid-
level now but quite high end back nine years ago.  Now I just gotta find
$50/mo to pay off the $600-ish in under a year, so I don't get hit by the
deferred interest!  The minimum payment is $35, but if I do another $15/
mo I avoid the deferred interest.  But the new system's more energy
efficient, so I'll make up I guess about $10-15/mo this summer, at least,
compared to last year's bill, and likely the whole $50/mo payment over
keeping the old one and running the AC down to 20C/60F to keep it running
at all.

Digression over. =:^)

Anyway, yeah, my old system wasn't exactly stable for the last few weeks,
and I'd had other temporary stability issues over the years as well, so I
got in the habit of clicking out of a group occasionally to trigger pan
to save-state.

And... at first the last-post-memory feature was a bit annoying here,
too, but then, without quite realizing why it quit being so annoying, I
guess without realizing it, I extended that habit and started clicking to
an empty/read group before closing pan as well, so pan has been coming up
with a blank body pane in an empty group, just as I was used to before,
for a couple weeks, now.  At first I didn't realize my behavior had
changed and was wondering what Heinrich had done to the code that he
hadn't put in the commit log I always check when I upgrade pan from git.
But then I realized it wasn't his doing, it was that I was already
extending my click-to-empty-group-to-save-state behavior, to account for
pan's new over restart memory of what it was doing last.  What's
fascinating is that it was all totally automatic.  I really WAS wondering
what had changed... until I realized it was me!

But yes, clicking to an empty group before closing pan seems to do the
trick for me, tho it took me awhile to figure out what exactly I was
doing to change the startup behavior! =:^)