pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] yenc preview v. saving attachments

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] yenc preview v. saving attachments
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:32:25 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: DLSauers
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:09 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Pan-users] yenc preview v. saving attachments

I have an issue in regards to binary newsgroups and what Pan can display
for the preview versus what it saves as the file using save attachments.

When I view the article in Pan the file is decoded and previewed
perfectly.

However when I select this group of messages or a single message and
select save attachments only a partial file is saved.

Is there some way to get Pan to save the file that it previews perfectly
and ignore the yenc decoding errors during saving that it does during the
preview during the program.

The posts are corrupt, correct. This happens to multiple persons and on
multiple servers. BUT PAN WILL DISPLAY THE FILES in the Picture Preview
in the program fine.... I just need a way to get Pan to save this and
ignore the yenc decoding errors the preview does.

I've tried to use yydecode with -b -f options, it just writes 0 byte
files, v. Pan's half an image files.

Tried to use an online yenc decoder, and trying to correct the CRC error, then it errors out about not finding a parts but there parts are there...
urgrhrhr....

The error messages are below. I get two per bad file one for each part.

First one:

Warning: PCRC32 mismatch in IMG_0002.JPG part 1. Decoded file probably
corrupt.

Second one:
Warning: Data looks suspicious. Decoded file might be corrupt.
Warning: Data looks suspicious. Decoded file might be corrupt.
Warning: Missing everything before part #2
Warning: PCRC32 mismatch in IMG_0002.JPG part 2. Decoded file probably
corrupt.

Yet, the preview in Pan is PERFECT. The image is too large to capture at
full resolution via KSnapshot, xwvd, gimp, etc.. been through those ideas
already. :(

This occurs on:

Linux KMint Julia 10 based on Kubuntu Maverick using Pan 0.133

Julep Linux Anastassia which is based on Kubuntu Oneiric using Pan 0.137

Same results on both. Tried with same messages in multiple groups on
multiple news servers. Others reports issues with the messages as well.
Getting a repost in correct format, would be great, not likely to happen
as this is a post and run type poster.

If you need more data let me know. Is there any way to get Pan to just
save what it decodes in the preview? ? ? Please, please, please, please.

thanks for any insight or ways to get this solved.

That doesn't happen to me with using my W7 Pan 0.138.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington