pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] An obscure feature request for Heinrich :)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] An obscure feature request for Heinrich :)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:44:53 +0000 (UTC)

Bob posted on Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:50:06 +0000 as excerpted:

>  Pan Should :
>

>  - allow zero connections, but complain when you try to send or receive.
>

> This would be good.

The problem is, 0 connections is used to purposefully disable a server
without removing it from the config.  Fine so far.  But if the server is
purposefully disabled, one doesn't want it constantly complaining because
it can't connect.  It that case, normally, pan should just ignore that
server, not updating any groups that appear only on it, etc.

But if a group is set to a posting profile that posts to a disabled
server, it /does/ seem logical to have an exception, since if one has
gone to the trouble of posting, one presumably /does/ want it to post,
and if the group is set to post to a disabled server, a warning in that
case would seem logical.

Which is what Heinrich did in his patch while we were discussing all
this. =:^)  It does popup a warning for a disabled server, but only if an
attempt is made to post to it.  Otherwise it stays quiet, as users would
normally expect from a disabled server, so as not to irritate them.

(At least that's how I /think/ it works.  I have a disabled server and
didn't start getting warnings annoying me when I hit the fetch new
headers in all groups button.  That's good.  But I haven't actually
tested trying to reply to a group only appearing on that disabled server,
so don't know for sure that it does popup a warning.  But I do know the
git commit says that's what it fixed, and I'm not getting a bunch of
unwanted popups from it, so I won't complain! =:^)