pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] What went wrong?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] What went wrong?
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 07:43:01 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth posted on Sat, 02 Jun 2012 17:58:55 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've been doing fresh installs of Fedora 17 on various machines.
> Today I did an scp over my LAN, copying ~/.pan2 from a machine still
> running F 16 to one of the 17s. Now Pan on the F17 crashes every time I
> try to get into it.
>
>       It shows me a list of subscribed groups, truncated top and
> bottom; the ones whose names I see are on gmane or grc.com, with no
> mention of any on giganews nor news.opera.no
>
>       When I try to click on a group's name, Pan disappears.
>
>       It does let me look at the Event Log, which shows a bunch of
> lines saying it has expired various scores, but no errors.
>
>       If I look at the task list, and tell it to go online, it gives me
> error 481, whatever that is.

What version on the crashing pan?  IIRC you use what's shipped by your
distro (F17 in this case), but I don't know what that is.  (Your posting
version is 0.135, but from the sound of things you'd not get far enough
to post on the new version so I guess you're using an older installation
to post from.)

I do know that there was release with a bug that could result in crashing
due to thread-handling race conditions, etc, then very quickly another
release, however.  The bad release was 0.136, on April 8, the fixed one
was 0.137, May 1, less than a month later.

I believe the race conditions had technically been there for some time,
0.136 didn't really introduce them, but it did ship with a lot of new
code, including binary uploading, ssl connections, pgp handling, etc, and
apparently one or more of those new features tickled the existing race
conditions, making them no longer corner-case and MUCH easier to
trigger.  That would be how it was discovered or at least how it could
now be reproduced and thus fixed, since it wasn't so corner-case hard-to-
trigger any more.

So if you ended up with 0.136, do consider upgrading to 0.137... or
reverting to 0.135.

And if that's the problem, thanks.  You'd be the first to report it here
anyway, and knowing that a bad version shipped with a distro helps if we
get any further reports of the problem.