pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Use Multiple Server Names?

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Use Multiple Server Names?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:23:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:23:42 -0400, JW wrote:

> I am a new user of Ubuntu (10.11), and Pan 0.133.
>
> I am a refugee from Windows XP, and a long time user of Forte Agent.
>
> I subscribe to a paid News Server.
>

> I want to try Pan, but I can't figure how to do something.  I want to
> group selected news groups into two categories, one text, one binaries.
> I want to use two different News Server IP addresses and/or names for
> them.  My paid news server does have multiple addresses.

I may be misinterpreting you intentions, but it sounds like you want the
text groups to use only one server and the binary groups to use only the
paid (multiple) servers. One way to do this is to have two profile
directories. One could have the default name of ~/.pan2 and one could
have a different name such as ~/.pan2.bin ("~" means your home
directory). Now if you just use the command "pan", you'll be using
~/.pan2. To use the other one, you could use a command:
PAN_HOME=$HOME/.pan2.bin pan
Now when you run pan without the special environment variable setting,
you can enter your text group server, and when you run it the other way
(using the other profile directory) enter the various server names for
your paid service. Then run the appropriate "version" depending on what
you're doing.
By the way, the latest version is actually 0.136, so you might want to
upgrade (you will need to build from source).
Also, others may comment on the fact that your post appeared to be
partially in HTML. See if you can configure your E-mail program to do
only plain text when posting to this group (or use pan itself via gmane).
-- David