pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 05:18:46 +0000 (UTC)

bob posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:17:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> My news server states that ssl is available on the usual ports, but
> after changing the port on the server list, nothing happens. Task
> manager shows what I am doing in the queue, but no connections.
>
> Going back to port 119 lets everything work fine.
> Did I miss something.  I did the installation using Scott Kuma's blog,
> but nothing was mentioned about ssl on non-ssl options.  The headers
> should show the release number.

Looks like you're current on pan-git (72905f5), so that shouldn't be it.

But your description says that you change the port, not the connection
method.  If that's correct, you're trying to connect using unencrypted
normal NNTP, but just telling pan to use that on a different port, which
happens to be the secure ports, but you're not telling it to use a secure
connection!

Instead of changing the port, leave the port number at the default (119)
and look down a bit further in the server-settings dialog, under
security.  There you should see a TLS (SSL) Options: dropdown, along with
a checkbox.

If you change the dropdown from Use Plaintext (Unsecured) Connections, to
Use Secure SSL Connections, if the port was set to the default nntp/119,
it should automatically switch to the nntps default of 563.  You don't
normally even have to bother changing the port unless your server uses a
non-standard nntps port.  Just change the connection type and pan takes
care of it automatically.