pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...

From: Ima Afrotrap
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:57:02 -0500

On Friday, 30 March 2012 11:35 Thufir wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:17:10 -0500, Ima Afrotrap wrote:
> >   My problem - I add my news server to pan and it of course starts to
> >   fetch all
> >
> > the groups on that server. Being on dial-up this can be slow, but in 18
> > years of it I've learned patience.
>
> Well, don't do that ;)
>
> Perhaps this is OT, or too much, or, maybe, it's exactly what you need:
> leafnode.
>
> Leafnode will download as a cron job, if you like.  You can also set it
> to just fetch headers.  it's a mini-NNTP server.
>
> What you could do is to set leafnode to get just headers, then when you
> mark an article in pan leafnode will (later) download that article.
>
> Or, depending on your connection, you could set one or two groups to
> download header & body.
>

> HTH,
>
> Thufir

  I've been thinking of giving leafnode a try, but worry that it'll slow my
connection down even more than the pathetic ≤30k I already suffer with, lol.
Thanks for the tip though, I still might try it if another suggestion from
Duncan doesn't work.

--
"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that the government wants every citizen to prove they
are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".  -unknown

Deport Illegal Aliens!