pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: thufir
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:54:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:34:44 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> The bug you refer to was probably that pan didn't display text/html
>> mimetype blocks even as plain text, in the buggy versions.  It probably
>> treated those mime parts as attachments, instead.
>
> That is not  bug, it is a feature. That is the correct behaviour for any
> application which (rightly, in my opinion) chooses not to render HTML.

I'm sure I'm not the only user to disagree, and I don't want to pile-on,
but here goes...

The problem is that the "aol" type users are more and more proliferate.
There will come a tipping point where this feature negatively effects the
user experience to such a point that users will simply abandon Pan.

I only say that so that everything is transparent.

Gwene is a variation of this situation, which is evolving.  It's
basically required to parse those with HTML as they are RSS feeds.  I
know, I know.  I *like* and prefer plain text, but the world marches on.

-Thufir