pan-users

[Pan-users] Anyone know why pan occasionaly decides it needs to download

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Anyone know why pan occasionaly decides it needs to download all headers in a group?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:32:44 +0000 (UTC)

I've got a handful of servers I subscribe to groups from.  About once
every day or two, with random groups (which one varies, and all of them
have been hit from one time to another), Pan will decide that instead of
using the headers in its cache, it's going to pull all the headers for
that group.

I observed this behaviour before I started using multiple machines, but
it wasn't a huge issue - but now I sync the .pan2 and News directories to
other machines using Dropbox, so having Pan decide to download all
headers means that the group's file in the .pan2/articles directory grows
to a fairly large size - which affects how much space is used on my
Dropbox account and how long it takes to sync the data.

I've been working around the issue by killing the task, deleting the
group's headers, and telling Pan to download 14 days' worth of headers.
But it's somewhat annoying to have to do that, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm running Pan 0.135 on openSUSE 12.1.  I also observed this behaviour
on earlier 0.13x releases on earlier releases of openSUSE (back to at
least 11.2).

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson