pan-users

[Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings

From: Maurice Batey
Subject: [Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:37:12 +0000

I'm having a puzzling time with code pages in 'old' Pan.

After years with no apparent problem in that area, out of the blue last
week I had a response (In the Mozilla Thunderbird NG) as follows:

    "Your Pan newsreader broke/folded my gmail help link.  Tb wouldn't
      do that.

    In addition to breaking my link, your choice of encoding
    ISO-8859-13 causes my Tb to choose a display font to handle the
    8bit which is  less appealing to me; I may have to adjust that
    configuration."

I thought my Mandriva setup was all UTF-8, but when I looked in
Pan's Group Properties (for all the NG's I subscribe to), they were all
set with ISO-8859-1.
  So I changed it to UTF-8, and the guy thought that was a good choice.

Today, in an Albasani newsgroup, someone else has said:

  "Any reason why you're inflicting a Japanese character set on
    everyone?"

and someone else:

    "You're not using UTF-8.
    You're using a character set which few Western Europe systems are
    likely to have bothered to install, 'iso-2022-jp'."

I checked that - for that NG - the Group Properties were indeed set with
'Default Char Set UTF-8'.

I'm totally baffled, and would appreciate suggestions as to what is
going on here.

How could the code page being used in my Pan postings be using
'iso-2022-jp' when Pan says 'UTF-8'.
   Where (and how) could 'iso-2022-jp' be specified?

--
/\/\aurice
        (Retired in Surrey, UK)     Registered Linux User #487649