pan-users

[Pan-users] systray icon, woohoo! =:^)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] systray icon, woohoo! =:^)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:45:17 +0000 (UTC)

I've wondered for quite some years why pan didn't have a systray icon.
I've worked around it by having a dedicated "news" desktop, with pan kept
running there (and forced by window rules to it, if started elsewhere)
all the time.

But now, from hmueller's repo, this commit:

commit b88abe93aeb0697495c7b449eb5645e83358db74
Author: Heinrich Müller <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Nov 23 21:49:55 2011 +0100

    roughly implement gtk_status_icon for tray minimize

:100644 100644 6d1b1c0... 9f3dbec... M  pan/gui/pan.cc
:100644 100644 cdd7f68... acb78c2... M  pan/gui/prefs-ui.cc

Yeah! =:^)

It basically works, with a preference to close/minimize to tray instead
of to quit entirely on window close (as usual, there's still the quit
menu entry), but the behavior I'm used to from other such icons, being
able to click the tray icon when the window's open to close it (and child
windows), doesn't yet work reliably (it seems to work occasionally, I've
not figured out why).  But when it's in-tray-only, clicking the icon does
open the main window.

Hovering over the tray icon produces a 4-line tooltip:

Pan 0.135: online
Tasks running: 0
Total queued: 1
Speed: 0.0 KiBps

(I think the queued total includes the article being composed, this
article in the above, as there's nothing listed in the tasks list.)

I'm not sure if the icon dynamically changes status yet, say for offline,
actively downloading, etc.  (It doesn't change when checking for headers,
I just tried that.)  But the commit /does/ say "rough", so it's probably
still being fleshed out.

Oh, and I don't see an option yet to initially only open in-tray, not the
main window.  That's nice for stuff loaded with the session, too.  (I
load pan with kde as it takes so long to read in from cold-cache my
multiple years of archived posts on various text groups...  That way it's
normally already loaded and ready when I'm ready for it, and quitting and
reloading is almost instantaneous as long as all those messages are still
in cache so it doesn't have to read them back in off of disk.)